In the latest move by a state government to encourage its residents to get vaccinated, New Jersey Gov. Phil Murphy announced on Monday, May 3, that adults who show their vaccination card at a list of eligible New Jersey breweries will be given a free beer as a reward. The “shot and a beer” program is in place now and will be available to all vaccinated adults through the end of May.
The plan is part of Murphy’s new “Operation Jersey Summer,” wherein state officials are aiming to get 4.7 million New Jerseyans vaccinated by June 30. Offering free beer is certainly one way to accomplish that. As of Tuesday, the state of New Jersey has 3.3 million vaccinated residents.
NEW: We’re launching our “Shot and a Beer” program to encourage eligible New Jerseyans ages 21+ to get vaccinated.
Any New Jerseyan who gets their first vaccine dose in the month of May and takes their vaccination card to a participating brewery will receive a free beer. pic.twitter.com/REiHTEa6mi
— Governor Phil Murphy (@GovMurphy) May 3, 2021
The following breweries will be participating in the Shot and a Beer program, many of which are close to Jersey beaches, making them convenient to anyone who is heading down the Shore as the weather gets nicer:
- Battle River Brewing in Tom’s River
- Bradley Beer Project in Bradley Beach
- Bolero Snort Brewing Company in Carlstadt
- Brix City Brewing Company in Little Ferry
- Carton Brewing Company in Atlantic Highlands
- Flounder Brewing Company in Hillsborough
- Flying Fish Brewing Company in Somerdale
- Gaslight Brewery and Restaurant in South Orange
- Hackensack Brewing Company in Hackensack
- Kane Brewing Company in Ocean Township
- Little Dog Brewing Company in Neptune
- Magnifying Brewing Company in Fairfield
- Riverhorse Brewing Company in Ewing
In order to be eligible for a free beer, you must be a resident of New Jersey, you must present your vaccination card, and — of course — be 21 and over.